The Influence of a Godly mother
The influence of a Godly mother
Scripture: 2 Timothy 1:1- 5; 3:14-17
- What does a godly mom looks like
- Godly mothers are not perfect but they do whatever it takes to train their kids and bring them up in the ways of the Lord.
Timothy’s mother, Eunice, and also his grandmother Lois taught him the ways of the Lord (2 Timothy 1:5)
The faith of Jochebed, Moses mother saved him from Pharaoh’s sword. Her early training gave Moses a sense of his true identity, not as Pharoah’s grandson, but as a child of the true and living God.
Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go,
And when he is old he will not depart from it.
- One of the greatest gifts we can give our children is to be godly parents.
– Our children are watching us and what they see is exactly that they will do. We influence our kids.
- How can we be moms that influence our kids.
- We need Jesus. Without Jesus I know I cannot make it.
Our children need Jesus. They need to understand that the world, friends and family will disappoint them but Jesus will never disappoint.
- We need to fight for our kids. How do we fight?
This is not a physical fight
Ephesians 6:12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms
– Most of my battle is done on my knees.
– Prayer – without prayer I cannot do this mom thing. It is tough, it is difficult and can be overwhelming especially when our society does not embrace it.
– We need to teach our kid and not wait for someone else to.
– But more than teaching we need to be that example in our home for them to follow
– We cannot say “do what I say” and not practice what we preach.
– One of the things that have really helped us deal with some major issues in our family are family meetings. Families are the most precious institution that the Lord Himself has established. The enemy wants to destroy it. I truly believe that if we are to have successful families we need to run it like a business.
– How are some of the ways to do so?
– Family meetings – share what is expected and what will be the consequences.
– In our meetings we ask our kids to evaluate us and let us know how we are doing as parents.
– Listen to your kids and let them know how valuable they are
– We let them know that the word of God is our guide to follo
- What if I don’t know how to be a godly mom
– It is not too late to learn. There are many women in the bible that did not have a good start in life but in the end they became a big influence in the bible that their names were mentioned as examples for us to learn from.
– It does not matter what you have done in your past. The past is over and done with, you and I cannot change our past but we can make a difference how our future will be like.
2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.
– Some examples of women in the bible that had a rough past but became women of great influence are
– Ruth: an idol worshiper who became part of the lineage of Jesus.
– Rahab: a prostitute is know for her great faith and is also a part of the lineage of Christ
Whether you had a godly heritage, a completely dysfunctional heritage or don’t know what to do, there is always room for improvement and change. Thank God, through Jesus we can have hope, receive healing and begin a fresh start to become the moms we were created to be. We were called for such a time as this to make an impact to this generation and the generations to come.