v1 – These verses take place two years later in December of 518 B.C..
– Israel has returned from captivity
– things are turning around for the Jewish people
v2 – Some people were sent to Jerusalem & ask a question
v3 – The Question: Should we continue to fast as we did in captivity?
3 THINGS WE CAN LEARN FROM THESE VERSES
1. THE GOOD TIMES IN OUR LIVES CAN BECOME ONE OF OUR GREATEST ENEMIES
– Should we continue to fast since we are out of captivity?
– Whether things are good or bad, continue on with Jesus
Here was Israel’s Pattern…
***Follow God and draw close to Him
***God blessed them
***They drifted away from the Lord
***Repentance takes place
***Come back to the Lord
***God blesses again
***The good times in our lives can become an enemy………we always need the Lord
– James 5:13-15
2. KEEP THE WANT TO HAPPENING – vs4-7
– Israel became religious an ritualistic…….
– Keep the want to in your life
– I want to serve Him and love Him and follow Him
3. WALK IN OBEDIENCE – vs7-14
v7 – Obeyed – means to pay attention to/to hear under/to conform to a command or authority
There are many kinds of Obedience?
1. Voice obedience – VS7 & 12
– This is listening to and obeying the voice of the Lord
THE VOICE OF THE LORD WILL CONTINUALLY SPEAK……….
– The former prophets spoke, but Israel would not listen – vs7,12
2. Learned obedience – vs8-12
Execute true justice – v9 – this is for judges to be fair
Show mercy and compassion…do not oppress widows…help the alien and the poor
– Only think good things about people…….
v11 – they refused to listen and obey
-shrugged – means to pull away
-they pretended to hear
-we cannot obey until we know what the commands and principles to follow are…….in the Bible
Examples: Matthew 28:18-20…Ephesians 5:18-21…John 15:12
— Do not be involved with selective obedience – all of God;s Word is correct
3. Consequential obedience – vs11-14
– There are consequences for obeying and disobeying
1. v12 – discipline will come when we disobey.
– The children of Israel went into captivity because of their disobedience
2. v13 – no power in prayer
– The Lord wants to see some changes
3. Lack rules and reigned – v14
– You can make the pleasant land desolate
– You can live in prosperity and not poverty