Grace – Grace & Sin
Grace and Sin
2 Timothy 2:1
My Son – this speaks of Timothy being saved through the ministry of Paul
Be strong – means to be strengthened – it is continual and a command
-it speaks of grace being strong
-Declare this today……God’s grace is strong……
(1) THE GRACE OF GOD BREAKS THE POWER OF SIN – Romans 5:1-2, 12-21
STEP #1 – BE REDEEMED BY HIS GRACE – EPH 2:8-9
a. we are justified – the Lord looks at us just as if we have never sinned
b. at the moment of redemption, the power of sin is broken
-the problem with society is the sin nature and not sins
-we must attack the sin nature
-How do we deal with sins in our lives?
a. through discipleship and growth – Eph 4:11-18
b. through using your authority – James 4:7
c. through repentance – 1 John 1:9
***The GRACE OF GOD is always ready to take you back……..
(2) THE GRACE OF GOD DOES NOT GIVE THE BELIEVER A LICENSE TO SIN – Rom 6:1-2, 12-23
antinomianism – you can sin all you want and the Lord will forgive you…
-the Lord redeemed us to set us free from sin
***Our mindset must change – from I am going to sin to I do not have to sin…….
-sin is destructive/results in death…
-so why do I sin then
-Our example to follow is Jesus Christ:
1 Peter 4:1-5 – we must have the same mind as Jesus Christ had which is to “cease from sin.”
***THE POWER OF GOD’S GRACE IN US AND WITH US IS MORE POWERFUL THAN THE POWER OF SIN AROUND US***
(3) GRACE ALLOWS THE WORD OF GOD AND THE HOLY SPIRIT TO BE THE RESTRAINING & CONVINCING FORCE OR POWER OF CHANGE IN A PERSONS LIFE – John 16:7-11
-believers, Pastors, churches and people are not to be the Holy Spirit in other peoples’ lives
-trust the Holy Spirit to do His work in the lives of people
How can we see people change?
1. teach, preach and share the Word of God – Col 3:1-9; 1 Cor 6:9-11; Titus 2:11-12
2. pray and ask the Holy Spirit to convince people of sin, righteous and judgment